WELCOME TO FOUR ON THE FOUR: A BLOG ABOUT JAZZ DRUMMING AND ALL THINGS UNRELATED, BROUGHT TO YOU BY JON McCASLIN

Friday, September 21, 2012

Bobby Durham with Oscar Peterson























I was hanging out with Vancouver flutist Jeremy Price last spring and he had me listen to a great Oscar Peterson LP entitled "Exclusively for my Friends" that featured OP with Sam Jones on bass and Bobby Durham on drums.

I had actually forgotten about this series of recordings that Oscar did with this particular line-up. Regina pianist Jim Gallagher had actually made me a copy of the whole series years ago (I think following a quartet gig we did with bassist Peter Dyksman and guitarist Chris Craig around 2003?) and unfortunately I forgot about them!

Bobby Durham is a great drummer with a very distinctive sound and style. He uses very small and bright cymbals and his drums are cranked!

Here's a full concert featuring that trio and Bobby is killing it! And of course, you can never go wrong with Sam Jones...

No comments:

Post a Comment