WELCOME TO FOUR ON THE FOUR: A BLOG ABOUT JAZZ DRUMMING AND ALL THINGS UNRELATED, BROUGHT TO YOU BY JON McCASLIN

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Tain Stomps



I really enjoyed this clip today of Jeff "Tain" Watts playing (and stretching!) in a trio setting along with his longtime collaborator Branford Marsalis playing on "Stompin' at the Savoy":



Most people recognize the tremendous influence of Elvin Jones and Tony Williams on Jeff's playing but after reading several interviews with him I was surprised and impressed to learn about how much Frankie Dunlop and Sam Woodyard have also influenced his concept over the years. He has obviously checked a lot of cats out and I think the above clip really illustrates that. A nice reminder that we should always be doing our homework and always checking out the tradition!

And, of course, I don't think I can name another drummer who used a Sabian Rocktagon cymbal so eloquently !

No comments:

Post a Comment