WELCOME TO FOUR ON THE FOUR: A BLOG ABOUT JAZZ DRUMMING AND ALL THINGS UNRELATED, BROUGHT TO YOU BY JON McCASLIN

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Ignacio Toca La Bateria



A few shorter, edited clips of Cuban-born Jazz drummer Ignacio Berroa in action from a previous European concert:









I really admire his multiple tom and cymbal set-up. I'm going to make an effort to give that a try myself although, of course, I realize that's going to mean a lot more drums, hardware and cymbals to lug around ! I think there is a lot to be said to be able to play with a smaller kit and to have the ability to get a multitude of sounds out of a limited set up however, I think having a larger set up with more cymbal/drum choices is fair game too. The expanded sound palette at your disposal makes for some interesting drumming but it's probably also about having the discipline to NOT hit everything all the time either !

No comments:

Post a Comment