WELCOME TO FOUR ON THE FOUR: A BLOG ABOUT JAZZ DRUMMING AND ALL THINGS UNRELATED, BROUGHT TO YOU BY JON McCASLIN

Friday, October 8, 2010

Billy Hart on Philly Joe Jones


From a recent masterclass, drummer Billy Hart talks about the important influence of Philly Joe Jones and specifically his influence on Elvin Jones:



Billy is a real encyclopedia when it comes to the history of Jazz drumming! I was very fortunate to study with him and attend his masterclasses at the now defunct Lake Placid Jazz Workshop during the summer of 1998. I'm still trying to figure out some of the stuff he showed us.

Anyhow, I think that student performing that Philly Joe Jones transcription for the class sounds great ! I dig how he really "pops" the accents of his lines. He's obviously done his homework. Btw- what solo is that anyways? (ed. Ted Warren has just informed me that this is in fact Philly's solo on "Lazy Bird". I should have known that!!! In fact, I think I even learned that solo a long time ago....Thanks Ted!)

Hey, I'm currently in Vancouver, British Columbia and will be checking out the Renee Rosnes Quartet featuring Renee Rosnes on piano, Steve Nelson on vibraphone, Peter Washington on bass and LEWIS NASH on drums (!) both tonight and tomorrow night at Vancouver's premier Jazz club, The Cellar. I'm sure I won't be disappointed. Full concert reviews coming in the days ahead...

Until then, happy Canadian Thanksgiving everyone !

1 comment: